Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport (AMD)
The Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International (SVPI) Airport is among India’s topmost airports. It serves the twin cities of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar, the financial center and the capital of Gujarat, respectively. Located in the Hansol region of Ahmedabad, at a distance of about 10 km from the city center, it is also the only international airport in the state. Naturally, it attracts a large quantum of passenger traffic.
The Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport has been named after the freedom fighter and the first Deputy Prime Minister of independent India. Formerly known as the Ahmedabad Airport, it was established in the pre-independence period in 1937. Initially a domestic airport, it was recognized as an international one in the year 2000. In the face of increasing air traffic, a new international terminal was inaugurated in 2010 and the airport was renamed. The modern and technologically advanced structure won the National Structural Steel Design and Construction Award in 2011.
Being a major aviation hub, the SVPI Airport is connected to a number of destinations across the nation. Flight services are available for major metropolitan cities like Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Bengaluru, and Chennai, as well as other important cities like Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Goa, and Siliguri. The most popular domestic routes at the SVPI Airport are Ahmedabad to Mumbai and Ahmedabad to New Delhi. Jet Airways, JetLite, Go Air, and IndiGo are some of the domestic airlines operating here.
The airport is also well-connected to several international destinations such as Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and New York. Among these, Ahmedabad to Abu Dhabi and Ahmedabad to Dubai are the popular sectors. Some of the major international airlines operating here include Emirates, Singapore Airlines, and Qatar Airways, among others.
The Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport houses two passenger terminals, namely Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. The former is dedicated to handling the arrivals and departures of domestic flights. The international air traffic is directed to Terminal 2. Each terminal has a capacity of accommodating 1,600 passengers at a time.
Traveling in and Around
There are several means of transport available for traveling between the airport and the city. The domestic, as well as international terminals, have a car rentals counter each in the Arrivals sections. Passengers may book private vehicles to travel to Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, and other nearby areas. Pre-paid taxis may also be hired from the Domestic Arrivals section. Public transport services such as city buses and auto-rickshaws are affordable alternatives. You may also choose to drive to the airport as paid parking spaces are available.
Services and Facilities
The SVPI Airport offers a number of valuable services to ensure the comfort and convenience of its passengers. Both the domestic and international terminals house an airport lounge. Travelers may use these air-conditioned lounges to unwind and spend their waiting period at the airport in a leisurely manner. Passengers may also avail of the paid spa services inside the Terminal 1 building. A childcare room is also available at Terminal 1 for the benefit of traveling families. Staff assistance and wheelchairs are available for passengers with special needs.
Both the terminals are equipped with efficient medical care and paramedic facilities to tend to medical emergencies. The airport also provides access to Wi-Fi at the terminals, allowing passengers to browse the Web while at the airport. STD and ISD telephone booths are stationed at the Departures sections of both the terminals. Several currency exchange booths are placed at different points at the airport for international passengers.
A number of other services such as television, mobile recharge, charging points for gadgets, free luggage trolleys, and ATMs are also available at the SVPI Airport. An information desk is stationed at Terminal 1 to aid travelers.
Things to Do
The SVPI Airport houses several retail stores and brand outlets, where travelers may indulge in shopping while waiting for their flights. From books and travel accessories to local ethnic handicrafts and garments, many essentials and souvenirs are available for purchase here. International passengers may also shop at duty-free stores.
Though the SVPI Airport does not have in-house boarding facilities, hotel bookings may be made at the tourist information counters at the airport. A number of hotels, suited to various budgets, are located close to the airport. Some of the luxury hotels include Comfort Inn Sunset, Pristine Residency, and Gateway Hotel Ummed Ahmedabad. Budget travelers may enjoy a comfortable stay at Hotel Airport Residency, RJ Residency, and other such places.
As there are separate terminals for domestic and international flights, transit passengers are advised to verify their schedules to avoid missing flights
While business travelers throng to the commercial hub of Gujarat, tourists also visit Ahmedabad for its cultural and historical significance. The Gandhi Ashram, Sidi Sayid Mosque, and Calico Museum are some of the popular attractions near the airport.
- What are the top airline brands that operate from Ahmedabad airport frequently? The top airline brands that operate from Ahmedabad airport frequently are – Saudi Arabian Air, Flydubai and Air India.
- What is the airport code for Ahmedabad airport? The IATA code for the Ahmedabad airport is AMD.
- What are the most frequent routes from Ahmedabad airport? The most popular sectors from Ahmedabad airport are Ahmedabad to Jeddah with 772 weekly flights respectively.
- When does the first flight leave from Ahmedabad airport? The first flight from Ahmedabad to Jeddah is at 3:00 AM, which is Saudi Arabian Air airline 2769 followed by Flydubai 438 which leaves at 3:15 AM.
- When does the last flight leave from Ahmedabad airport? GoAir 364 to Jeddah is the last flight that departs from airport at 11:55 PM.
Top International Routes from Ahmedabad
- Ahmedabad Dharmsala Flights
- Ahmedabad Gaya Flights
- Ahmedabad Dehradun Flights
- Ahmedabad Bagdogra Flights
- Ahmedabad Kullu Flights
- Ahmedabad Thoothukkudi Flights
- Ahmedabad Mumbai Flights
- Ahmedabad New Delhi Flights
- Ahmedabad Bangalore Flights
- Ahmedabad Guwahati Flights
- Ahmedabad Edinburgh Flights
- Ahmedabad Frankfurt Flights
- Ahmedabad Tokyo Flights
- Ahmedabad Ad Dammam Flights
- Ahmedabad Denpasar Bali Flights
- Ahmedabad Florence Flights
- Ahmedabad Paris Flights
- Ahmedabad Istanbul Flights
- Ahmedabad Warsaw Flights
- Ahmedabad Bangkok Flights
- Ahmedabad Kathmandu Flights
- Ahmedabad Dubai Flights
- Ahmedabad Abu Dhabi Flights
- Ahmedabad Kolkata Flights
- Ahmedabad Hyderabad Flights
- Ahmedabad Pune Flights
- Ahmedabad Chennai Flights
- Ahmedabad Doha Flights
- Ahmedabad Aizawl Flights
- Ahmedabad Singapore Flights
- Ahmedabad Cochin Flights
- Ahmedabad Goa Flights
- Ahmedabad Lucknow Flights
- Ahmedabad London Flights
- Ahmedabad Siliguri Flights
Top International Flight Schedules
Ahmedabad Airport Details
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport
- "Airport Director
- 91-79-2286 9211